A good mentor enjoys the mentoring sessions and feels rejoiced with the success of a mentee. A good mentor is supposed to be compassionate towards the unique requirements of all mentees.
- He/she is supposed to possess the qualities of a good mentor, teacher, active listener and learned trainer.
- A mentor who is committed to assist the mentees in finding the satisfaction and success in life or in the selected fields of profession may be regarded as a good mentor.
- He/she may empower a mentee to nurture their strengths and personal attributes by showing what measures or steps are necessary in order to become productive and successful.
- A productive mentoring relationship may even help the novice employees along with the interns move on the road towards success with professional expertise and knowledge of a mentor regarding a particular industry or service.
However, it is not easy to find a reliable, learned and dedicated mentor who can help you reach the goal whilst strengthening your skills and developing your expertise for the beneficial interpersonal relationships.
It is Essential to Learn about the Qualities of a Good Mentor
1. Bringing Positivity
An experienced mentor knows the importance of the positive attitude in order to become successful in this world. He/she may exhibit the personal attributes that are essential for a mentor to become successful in life or how to increase the productivity. A good mentor always shows a positive behavior and executes the positive actions that are necessary to become successful.
2. Inclination towards Share
The positive behavior or actions are not enough to direct a mentee on the path towards success. A good mentor is supposed to have the willingness to share his/her experience and knowledge with a mentee. The shared knowledge or experience may help mentees learn about the practical steps towards success. A good mentor also accepts a mentee without passing any judgment regarding his/her skills, as a mentor knows the steps that are necessary to become successful.
3. Dedicated Assistance
A good mentor is supposed to show a special interest in the requirements of a mentee. The dedication and enthusiasm of a mentor may increase your confidence and give you a feeling that your queries have value. A dedicated mentor can steer the mentees towards success.
4. Invested in Mentoring Relationship
A good mentor also receives gratification from the success of mentees. He/she does not take the mentoring responsibility lightly. He/she does not just possess knowledge about a field of business, profession or other aspects of life. He/she is compassionate towards the mentees.
5. Encouraging Progress through Advice & Feedback
A constructive feedback is delivered based on observation and available information. It is focused on a particular issue. A good mentor is supposed give a constructive feedback to the mentees along with a practical guidance depending upon the unique requirements of all mentees.
- A mentor may use the constructive feedbacks to help mentees in realizing their unique strengths and may advice them on how to use their strengths in order to achieve success.
- A constructive feedback may even identify the weaknesses of mentees without spreading any negativity.
- A good mentor may even present challenges to the mentees in order to ensure success in the professional field.
- The completion of challenges also delivers a sense of accomplishments to the mentees.
6. Continuous Growth
A good mentor is supposed to remain updated about the mentoring technique.
- He/she is willing to learn new practices and to experiment with the traditional mentoring process.
- A successful mentor may even write articles in journals.
- He/she is supposed to have the willingness to share the knowledge/experience with the mentees or with trainee mentors who may significantly benefit from this type of guidance.
- A good mentor is keen to enhance their skills and knowledge through seminars, workshops or professional conferences.
- Hence, a good mentor believes in continues growth and keeps updated knowledge about his/her field of expertise.
7. Flawless Reputation
A flawless reputation is the primary sign of a good mentor, as the mentees look up to the mentors and may follow their footsteps in the future. Hence, it is crucial for a good mentor to have respected position in the society in order to mentor without leaving any negative effect on the mentees.
8. Setting A Good Example
A good mentor may present the journey of his/her success in professional field and personal life as an example for the mentees. A good mentor is also supposed to set a positive example for the mentees with his/her behavior or the tone of voice. However, it is equally essential for a mentee not to abuse the rapport with a mentor and to respect a mentor’s convenience.
Following these 8 important qualities of a good mentor will help you choose a great mentor wisely.